Recent Posts

Monday, February 8, 2010

the postman may always ring twice, but he also makes an amazing meal

Last week was restaurant week in NYC which means restaurants across Manhattan were offering special prices so common folk like me could have a chance to dine there. New York really does have unbelievable restaurants even though my favorite restaurant might just be the little bagel shop that delivers fresh bagels to my door every Sunday morning. I can be low-maintenance if I try.

Rod and I had a great time pouring over the list of participating restaurants, trying to figure out where to make a reservation. We wanted to pick a place we knew we would never normally be able to go on a date night due to the menu prices. So we settled on Del Posto. It's a chic upscale Italian restaurant owned by this guy.

Mario Batali

Anyway, we were so excited for the night to arrive. We knew the food was going to be great. I get rather excited about good food. Almost as excited as I do when Bravo comes out with a new reality show. But this night was going to be about food and I was recording Bravo, so the excitement was HIGH.

The restaurant is gorgeous. Very fancy, but without being stuffy. There is also a piano playing in the background which makes it rather romantic. It's one of those places where glasses are clinking, and you feel you are somewhere pretty special. It's not the Olive Garden.







We were seated at a lovely table in the balcony, which gave us a great view of the whole restaurant. The hostess gave us our menu and I told her we were there for restaurant week, so could we please have the special menu. Then she said it. It was like a movie in slow motion and in one of those utterly deep, dark voices.

"I'm sorry. We only offer the restaurant week menu for lunch. Not dinner."

Our hearts sank but we decided to just go for it anyway. A once in a lifetime opportunity. It's been a tough few weeks and we really needed a nice evening out.

Let me just say, we were not disappointed. The food. AMAZING. The service. UNBELIEVABLE. I lost count as to how many people served our table. Plus, they brought new silverware for every single course. And we ordered a five course meal. Here's a few pics taken with our camera phone.






My mouth is watering just looking at these pictures again. It was one of the best meals of my life. Thanks Rod! Totally worth the price- even though I refused to look at the final bill when it came. I let my date pay for it. I'm an old fashioned girl.

If you are ever in NY and have a special occasion to celebrate- you must check this place out!

8 comments:

Sohailah said...

Looks fancy! Glad you went for it. Hope the weeks are getting better. I will be in NYC next week. I have some free time on Friday, I think. In the Rockefeller Plaza area... would LOVE to see you!

Lisa H said...

So glad you went ahead and ate, even if it wasn't in your planned budget...it made for a truly memorable evening! :)

Jen said...

Sometimes you just have to indulge yourself or you end up going crazy! Craig and I do the same thing once in awhile. I hate the final bill but the night out together=priceless. So often we get caught up in our busy schedules and forget to make time for each other. Its always a nice treat having a date night. That place looks AH-MAZ-ING!!! I so wish I lived in NYC. I think I would fit in well there. ;o)

Anonymous said...

YUM! I totally want to try that place! We ate at Lupa once and it was amazing, too. You'll have to try it out sometime. The prices aren't too bad there:)

Laura said...

Mario IS the man! I have been to PO, BABBO, and most recently, here in LA. MOZZA. I am sounding like I dine out a lot...I really don't. PO and BABBO were over TEN EYARS ago when I lived in the West Village and had just one kid, and MOZZA was this year for our Wedding Anniversary, and I too, am old fashioned...never looked at the bill.

I am glad you went for it!

Laura said...

YEARS...not EYARS. Years, but you knew that.

http://dkzody.wordpress.com said...

So, are you all snowed in and stranded in your apartment? We keep hearing all these horror stories about New York City.

wesleyandbeth said...

Oh my goodness! Now all of that looks divine! Did you even have leftovers? It would be hard to leave any of that on the table..especially the dessert!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails