Recent Posts

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

blood or crips?

One of my main concerns about moving to NYC was the schools. I just didn't know what they were like. We have 3 in school this year and I knew private schools would be out of the question. Tuition in Manhattan runs at least $30K per year. Per child. I'm going to say that again in case it didn't sink in. THIRTY.... THOUSAND....DOLLARS per child, per year. My husband works for a non-profit (key word non) so that's not happening for us. Besides, even if I had an extra $30K per kid laying around, I really don't know if I could justify paying that much each year for school. I mean $30K times 3 kids can buy A LOT of Bobbie Brown lipstick. And Starbucks. I'm just sayin'.

So when we decided to move to NYC, I did what every good mom would do. I googled the heck out of the phrase "NYC schools." I found extensive lists of schools, articles, etc....But was pleasantly surprised that NYC has some of the best public schools in the country.

I know what some of you are thinking right now. I would never send my kids to NYC public schools because of THE GANGS. Well, after more research I found out that kids really don't have to declare a gang until their junior year, so we're good for a while.

In all seriousness, there are some really good public schools there. Some great specialty schools for the arts, sports, dance, etc... We're narrowing down our choices, but for now I think I'll stay away from this one:


High School Of Arts, Imagination And Inquiry
122 Amsterdam Avenue Manhattan, NY 10023

WHAT'S SPECIAL: Teaching artists from the Lincoln Center Institute.

DOWNSIDE: School is housed in a windowless basement.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Lord, I remember when we hit $8000 for 3 kids and I was in shock. Are you serious? I say just skip it all and send them off to college for that price tag!

Karen Hochstedler said...

I hope you find something KOOL!

Jen said...

You are too funny. I can't imagine how hard it is finding a good school in NYC. I have always wanted to live there but that very fear of my kids coming home and telling me they became part of a gang will keep me in he middle of nowhere in this country. I'll just visit and get my fill of NYC and then come home. :o)

Anonymous said...

You can always homeschool. Come on...everybody's doin' it:)

Anonymous said...

That is so funny! Although I am sure that is not your thought all of the time! What an endeavor you are all on! May God bless you and keep you, and isn't it lovely knowing He has already gone before you and prepared the way? Even the school and the teachers your children will have and the friends they will make!
I worked for Rod (indirectly) at TM and was affected by his wisdom, sense of humor & devotion to the Lord. Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to get to know you very well, but I am sure you are like two peas in a pod, being so devoted to each other. And, I am sure you will need wisdom, a devotion to the Lord & a good sense of humor as you make this journey! We will be praying for you all.....and I'm sorry about your washer/dryer. That is truly sad.
Katie (Naretto) Morris

michelle said...

BAHHH!!!

Just Mom said...

:-O

I will never ever complain about the tuition I pay for my one child.

Sohailah said...

this made me laugh out loud. Which is always nice. When, exactly, do you move?

3 Peanuts said...

Laugher SO hard at the they don't have to choose their gang until JR year. VERY witty!

Anonymous said...

As a teacher who works in mostly underfunded public schools, I find your post somewhat offensive. The pressures and difficulties faced by many students in this city are extremely serious. Many young people face violence at home and at school every day and still manage to make it through to graduation. Please think carefully about making light of a subject as serious as gang violence.

Michelle said...

Anonymous- my children are in the middle of NYC public schools right now. It is extremely different than any other school system we have been involved in. My post was not meant to be offensive. I find that if I use humor to get thru tough times, it helps me. Believe me, I know all about the gangs. My high schooler has to go thru a metal detector just to get into school. And to be honest, it scares me to death. Also, I totally agree that the schools are underfunded.

Anonymous said...

Michelle
Here's the thing lots of folks don't tell you about those expensive private schools: Many of the kids attending them are more problematic in behavior than what you'll find in a typical public school.

Lots of folks seem to equate having money (the parents) with model behavior. Would that this were the truth.

The only difference in city schools and suburban schools? The number of students and physical density. The same problems exist here--drugs, drinking, etc.--as confront kids of all ages elsewhere.

Our friends in the suburbs have horror stories that way exceed anything we hear from the parents of kids in public schools here in NYC. And by the way, in our apartment building, over the years, the best mannered, least difficult kids: Went to public school The kids who were rude, always in trouble and trouble-makers? Yea. They went to PRIVATE schools.

So...don't get bogged down in the usual NYC school snobbism.

I've seen otherwise sane people/parents do insance things (seriously) to get/keep their kids in private schools. Makes you wonder.

Stuff happens everywhere, not just big cities. It just gets written up more in a big city.

Your kids will adjust, and it will be helped if you contain your own fear. Kids don't start out fearful or anxious. BUt they pick it up real quickly from the folks around them.

M

dt said...

Anonymous, You need to learn the value of humor. Your post was a wet rag after the light hearted humor Michelle posted. And by the way, private school kids in NYC are the same as public school kids. Please stop stereotyping.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails