Recent Posts

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

easter bonnet parade

This was our first Easter in Manhattan. For over 100 years there has been an Easter Bonnet parade on 5th Avenue every Easter Sunday. Growing up a southern girl, I am well aware of the Easter bonnet. And the white patent leather shoes. And the white Easter gloves. So there was no way I was going to miss seeing an Easter bonnet parade. But, imagine my surprise at the parade when I saw this:



Shocking, but it was a FANTASTIC Easter bonnet, right? The entire parade was definitely one of those "only in NYC" moments. The creativity was quite amazing and I feel the following needed some special awards. Enjoy.

Best costume that can cross over to another type of parade award:



This person's picture was featured on Regis & Kelly Monday morning, so they get the Five Minutes of Fame Award:



Best use of doggie accessory award:



The Excessive Flair award. (This category had some tough competition if you haven't noticed already.)



Biggest Yankee fans award:



Best nod to childhood Easter award:



The recycling award. Since she clearly emptied her entire craft closet to create her elaborate costume.



The Tim Burton award:



The I am man enough to wear this hat award:



The good enough to be in French Vogue award:



I saved the best for last. We all know the highest creativity award should be called The Anthropologie award. Seriously, this mother-daughter creation was amazing!







I will never look at an Easter bonnet the same way again.

10 comments:

Ashley Mutschler said...

Wow! Those were definitely creative!!

Jamie Lee said...

The mother-daughter pair are my fave! That must've taken sooo long to make!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

were you really that close to the action? did the people willingly stop for pictures of their shoes? that is awesome.

the question is, did you run home and start crafting your own creation for next year's parade?

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for making me feel that I don't miss a thing in NY!!!! I will be there first week of May! Can't wait!!! Check out this months's Town & Country...several articles might interest you a lot!!!
Can't wait to see YOU in next years parade!!!

Teresa said...

Wow! That's all I can say. :)

Fer said...

I can't believe I missed that!

Elizabeth said...

Those are wonderful. I lived in NYC for over eight years and don't think I ever went to the parade. Thank you for showing me what I missed!

Anonymous said...

Great shots! I just found you through Big Mama - so glad I did. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing the cute little church hats didn't make the crowd. Go figure!

Sohailah said...

WOW. I ate at Peacecafe with Mitch. Had that panini -yum YUM! I'll be back in a couple weeks - maybe we can catch up!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails