Recent Posts

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

it's magically delicious

While NyQuil is the magical formula that eases cold and flu symptoms, it's also the magical formula that squelches the ability to produce a logical blog post. I have been sick for the past 3 days even though I'm not supposed to get sick. I am a mother. We all know it is against the good mother handbook to be sick. After all, healthy family dynamics rotate on the axis of motherhood, right?

Speaking of motherhood, my own mother called me this weekend. When I told her I was sick, she said, "I know. I could feel you." She lives in Oklahoma and I live in New York. If anyone can explain this phenomenon, let me know. I can tell you that it has existed since my college days. She used to call and tell me that what I was about to do that night would land me in a pit of fire. Her phone calls kept me out of A LOT of trouble and I plan to use this same parenting strategy with my own children. Kids, consider yourself forewarned. You will have NO FUN in college. But it's for your own good.

Anyway, I'm on the mend. And will be weaning myself off the NyQuil. Personally, I chase mine with a couple melatonin which together produces the deepest of deep sleep coma. But only do this if you have someone to take over your parenting responsibilities. Apparently, the last few nights, children have come in and out of our room needing something or another and I have no recollection. Seriously. Not even a fuzzy recollection. My kind husband has tended to them all.

Do I feel guilty? Not really. It finally makes us even for all those nights he "didn't hear the baby crying." And he can't blame that on NyQuil. He can only blame that on the magical formula of his male chromosomes.

6 comments:

Brooks said...

My mom still calls to see "what's going on - I can tell you're having a rough day" or whatever is going on that day. She's done it my whole life too. She's done the "you're going to screw up pretty bad if you keep on this path" talks with my siblings. I learned from them that it wasn't worth doing too many stupid things because Mom would know anyways! I, too, plan on using this with my own two!

Christina Lowery said...

Love the "didn't hear the baby crying" comment!! So it's not just my hubby?! Love your blog Michelle - you should right a book!!

Jerri said...

I was missing you! Glad you're feeling better!

Sohailah said...

poor girl - so sorry and so glad, all at once. Love the deep sleep trick - and you wake up refreshed?

sherilee said...

My mom always likes to check in (and always has) but has no clue when I'm on the tip of trouble... I'd say that's good for me, but it's probably not...

I've had the sneeziest cold ever this week, but have been sleeping OK without drugs so I've been soldiering on. But I have been missing you and wondering where you were! You're my little bit of the city... I hope you are better and better.

Emily said...

Glad you're on the mend, but mainly for selfish reasons because I enjoy your blog.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails