Recent Posts

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

future star of a bravo tv fashion show

I'm not afraid to admit that I ask my six year old daughter for fashion advice on a regular basis.

Lily's favorite show is Launch My Line or Project Runway. Her favorite time of day is when she stands at her closet and creates her own masterpiece. I love watching her expression as she does this. It's the same expression I get when I see a cupcake shop.

She notices if I am wearing something new and points out all the little details. But then realizes that I went shopping without her and scolds me.

But my favorite is when she says, "Mom, you are rockin' those boots." Because I am 42 and I need to hear I am still capable of rockin' something.

She is our in-house stylist.
Yes, I am living with a mini Rachel Zoe.

The other night she was pouring over the Boden catalogue, trying to put together her spring wardrobe. She tore out the pages with items she wanted and handed them to me.

"Mom, I TOTALLY need these things."

"OK. I'll take a look."

"No, really. I TOTALLY need these."

"We'll see, Lily."

"PUHLEEESE Mom. I'll give you a kiss AND a dollar."

Apparently, she's become aware of my love language.

But I noticed a common theme as I examined her choices. Something that usually doesn't happen with her. Everything she picked was shades of black and gray.

People, New York is really rubbing off on her.

Which means I can breathe a bit easier, knowing she will NEVER look like this.

7 comments:

happileah said...

I need a Lily! Life with 3 sons is rubbing off on me, in the form of "I know nothing about fashion!!"

p.s.My 6 yr old tries to bribe me, as well..

Sohailah said...

I NEED Lily! I am PATHETIC about clothing... truly... and I have no one to help me...

Anonymous said...

My daughter is almost 2 1/2 and she has started telling me each day that I am "so cute" when I get dressed or when I do my make up. I can only imagine what it will be like as she gets older.

Cat said...

I think she's being practical. Now that she's six she knows a good neutral piece might last her two maybe three winters! ;) one thing I love about girls clothes is their longevity. Those pants a little short? Take off the socks and call them ankle length or Capri. The dress a little short? Put on shorts or pants and it's a tunic. This does not work with boy clothes.

Fer said...

She seems adorable! And I need a Lilly too. I'm not a mom, but I'm a nanny taking care of toddlers who doesn't understand fashion YET!

Anonymous said...

My fashion consultant grew up, went away to college, and now has her own daughter. I often come to school with clothes that need some work to make them look better. Sometimes my students will point out something they like that I'm wearing. That always makes me feel good.

I'm buying all dark clothes for SF. Like Lilly, I know what the city requires.

the mama bird diaries said...

Your daughter and i could watch TV together.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails